Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? Dreyer’s Rocky Road slow-churned ice cream? A Twix bar (or 3 of them)? Or a soda? What’s your poison? I mean, come on, we all know that sugar is bad for us…but do we really know what it’s doing to our bodies? Ok, enough with the questions, here are some facts for you to consider:
- causes sudden spikes in blood sugar, resulting in mood swings (hormone imbalance), fatigue, and cravings for MORE sugar
- increases risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease
- decreases immune function
- promotes premature aging
- causes tooth decay and related dental diseases
- affects the assimilation/absorption of nutrients into the body, and can thus lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- causes bloating and constipation
- is as addictive as drugs, according to some studies
- has no nutritional value = empty calories
- can cause overgrowth of bad bacteria in the body, leading to yeast infections, candida, etc
I will be the first to tell you that I LOVE sweets. When I was a kid I used to sneak into the pantry to find the stash of candy and/or chocolate and then run off to my room to scarf it down before getting caught. Then, of course, I would go to bed. This harmful habit not only contributed to the weight problems I would soon encounter, but also to the number of cavities and oral problems I constantly dealt with. Over the years, I lost weight, and picked up healthier habits; but sugar has always had a hold on me, even in its “healthier” forms.
So, here’s what I decided: I’m giving up sugar, cold turkey, for (at least) 21 days. This not only includes processed sugars, but also the natural kind, like fruit…yes, I’m pretty drastic sometimes. Eventually, once the detox is over, I will slowly reintroduce certain foods. Ok, so what am I eating?
- Legumes (beans, lentils)
- Nuts & seeds
- Sea vegetables (nori sheets/seaweed snacks)
- Green juices and smoothies (without fruit)
- Tea (with no sweetner)
- Lemon & lime
What am I NOT eating?
- Sweetners (honey, agave, etc)
- Wheat products
- Candy, cake, chocolate, cupcakes, in short, any processed sugars
- Bread, rice, tortillas
- Alcohol, fruit juices, and sodas
Day 1 started about 30 minutes ago, and so far so good! I am actually pretty excited, as I always am when I am my own guinea pig. I will keep you updated on my progress, and any side-effects (positive OR negative) that I may encounter over the next few weeks. If you need to kick the habit as well, feel free to join me; I already have some awesome listeners from U92.7 that are totally on board! Don’t forget to reach out for support if you need it! And even if you don’t want to join, at least be nice and wish me luck 🙂 haha!